Sunday, February 22, 2009

Minestrone

2 t olive oil
1 c chopped onion
2 t chopped fresh oregano (hello, use dry if that's all you've got!0
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 c chopped yellow squash
3 c chopped zucchini
1 c chopped carrots
1 c fresh corn kernels (@ 2 ears - of course, I use frozen!!)
2 cans diced tomatoes
52 oz (more or less) chicken broth
1/2 c ditalini pasta - short tube shaped
1 c Northern beans (white ones - drained)
1 t salt
1/2 t pepper
Asiago cheese

Saute onion in oil. Add oregano and garlic - saute. Add next 4 ingredients and cook for about 5 minutes. Add broth and tomatoes and simmer for 20 minutes. Add ditalini and beans and simmer 10 more minutes. Add spinach. salt and pepper. Stir till mixed in and hot. Serve with asiago on top. 

This is a cooking light recipe - therefore light. I add sauteed chicken to mine. Really good. Freezes well for reheating.

2 comments:

  1. okee dokee... How much spinach? I bought this culinary broth -chick broth with chablis, thyme,oregano and rosemary. It was "way" on sale. could be unusual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use a bag of it from the grocery - prewashed cause I hate biting into dirt. I imagine you just throw in whatever you want. Dixie taught me to make Minestrone, but she didn't subscribe a specific recipe. Just throw in whatever vegetables you have. Very organic - she used real broth, etc. It was delicious, but I don't have a feel for soups because I don't love them (if I love it, I can make it up), so I needed more guidance. This recipe offers guidance, but I think you can take license.

    ReplyDelete