Saturday, January 31, 2009

Celebration Cake

This is one of our favorite chocolate cake recipes that I got from my friend, Sue.  She made some changes to it and then I made some because I didn't have the req'd ingredients on hand. It's still a celebration though. (It is a dryer, denser cake than some, so if you eat it a day or two after baking, you will want milk or ice-cream available; or microwave your piece for 10-20 seconds and it'll taste fresh, warm, and moist.)

Stir together in a bowl:

2 1/4 c flour
1 pkg (4 oz) instant chocolate pudding
1 t salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 t baking powder (that's a change - so really don't need it)

Add:
1 1/2 c brown sugar
2/3 c veg oil
1 c sour milk (or 1 c milk with 3 T sour cream, or 1 c milk with 1 T white vinegar or lemon juice)

Beat 1 1/2 minutes on medium high speed.

Add:
3 unbeaten eggs
1 t vanilla
(sometimes I add 1 t mint flavoring as well)

Beat 1 1/2 minutes

Put batter into 3 greased 8" pans. Sprinkle 1 c chocolate chips over layers. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.

Frosting:

Melt: (I use the microwave)

 1 c chocolate chips
1/4 c butter
1/3 c milk
(again with the mint flavoring)

Remove from heat and stir in 1 lb XXX sugar. If necessary, thin with milk.

1 comment:

  1. We have lots of excuses to celebrate .. I will definitely try this!

    ReplyDelete