Thursday, February 4, 2010

Chili - For a Crowd

This recipe originated from the Silver Palate Cookbook. I took that idea, and over the years have altered it to my taste...good luck.

1 medium onion, diced

Saute the onion in a big pot that has the bottom covered with

2 T olive oil

When the onion is clear, add:

1 lb round steak, cubed to small bites
1-2 pounds ground beef (depending on how meaty you want it)
2 cloves garlic, minced, crushed...however

Add salt and pepper to taste.

When the beef is all browned, add:

1 LG can of tomato puree
2 cans of diced or stewed tomatoes
1 heaping T of Dijon mustard
good splash of red wine (white if you only have that)
juice from 1/2 lemon

And then I add at least a palmful of the following spices:

Dill
Parsley
Chili Powder
Cumin

and 1/2 a palmful of:

Basil
Oregano

Then add beans if you like - I prefer a can of black beans.
And at the end, add a can of black olives.

The end is after it's cooked for a while and is hot through and through.

I serve is with tortilla chips, corn bread, or tortillas. And of course, grated cheddar, diced onions, and sour cream on the side.

I hope I didn't leave anything out...

2 comments:

  1. can I make it tonight? huh, can i? can i? it's wet and rainy here.. so I can GET to the store. thanks for the reminder of this delicious recipe.

    ReplyDelete